Birth Injury Lawyers
Every birth injury deserves to be investigated.
Our birth injury lawyers are specialized in helping victims with cerebral palsy and other serious conditions. We have successfully represented these children and their families and helped them get the compensation they need to care for their child. We can help you or a loved one the same way we have for over 30 years practicing law in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area.
Every birth is a miracle but things can go wrong.
Expecting parents are filled with many emotions throughout a pregnancy: excitement, fear, nervousness, anxiety, but most of all hope, for a happy and healthy child. There is usually concern over every aspect of the pregnancy from the due date to naming the child. No one ever wants to think about what happens if something goes wrong.
The unfortunate truth is sometimes the child has a condition, like cerebral palsy, but there was no avoidable birth injury or any way of preventing it. An even more unfortunate truth is sometimes there are avoidable mistakes that occur, and for the family things get difficult beyond comprehension. Medical bills start piling up, as a child who suffers a serious birth injury will require a lifetime of care. Usually the family does not even realize that their child’s cerebral palsy, hypoxic brain damage, or other serious condition was due to a preventable birth injury.
Big corporations have taken over many of the hospitals and healthcare facilities in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area. The businesses are not quick to admit their mistake or take responsibility without a fight. Latona Law provides rapid access to a network of doctor-lawyers and other experts needed to prove whether or not there was negligence on behalf of any responsible party throughout the pregnancy.
Frequently Asked Birth Injury Medical Malpractice Questions:
How do I know if my child suffered a birth injury?
- A thorough legal investigation is required, but it starts with a simple conversation with one of our birth injury attorneys. After Latona Law is made aware of the facts, and if the case is accepted, we will begin taking the steps immediate steps to uncover the truth. While we always recommend contacting us for a free consultation, it is especially important you contact us today if your child has cerebral palsy or other serious condition, is newborn or born less than twenty years ago, and you experienced any of the following:
- An emergency c-section where there may have been any lack of oxygen or injury to the infant
- A difficult natural delivery where the baby was stuck or required any special procedure, and there may have been any lack of oxygen or injury to the infant
- Your baby was rushed to the N.I.C.U.
- Doctors failed to test, or misread a test, at any point throughout the pregnancy.
- Immediately after birth the baby appeared to have blue or gray cast to their skin
How long after birth can a potential malpractice case be evaluated?
- It can take years for the affects from a birth injury to become apparent. Often, parents suspect something may be wrong but they do not know until there is an appropriate pediatric evaluation. If the child is diagnosed with a serious condition or disability, it does not mean there was a preventable birth injury. There are ways to tell if the child’s condition is genetic, a natural result of the contractions and contortions of birth, or due to a preventable birth injury. Because of the possible delay in confirming the child’s condition, the statute in Pennsylvania is longer than typical medical malpractice cases. In Luzerne, Lackawanna, and surrounding counting as well as the rest of Pennsylvania, you have until your child’s 20th birthday to take legal action for their injuries, however act as soon as possible to preserve any other rights you may have.
Should I talk to my doctor about a possible birth injury?
- When parents of a child who suffered a possible birth injury realize something may have happened, the first response should be to contact the child’s pediatrician for medical advise. It is extremely important that you contact our office before speaking to any representative from the hospital or any medical provider that may have been associated with your child’s injury. Should it turn out that your child’s birth injury was due to someone else’s negligence, anything you say to them might compromise your chance to file a claim.
How do I choose the best law firm for my family?
- The knowledge and resources required for a birth injury medical malpractice case are substantial. We have the resources to help, with no costs or fees to you until we recover compensation for your family’s troubling situation. While we have been specialized in birth injury and medical malpractice cases for over 10 years, Latona Law has been helping the injured in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton for over 25 years. We know the processes, systems, and protocol inside and out to help you and your family. Latona Law has helped recover more than $40 million for the medically injured in Luzerne, Lackawanna, and surrounding counties.